Thursday, September 23, 2010

See you in Geneva


Wed Aug 25th 3.30pm

See that luggage. That is the luggage sitting on the high-speed train platform at Macon Loche. About 2 minutes before the train stopped we had 3 exhausted, sleeping children. I said to kate, ‘quick wake up the kids.’ I ran upstairs where most of our collection of luggage was strewn over 3 different racks. As the doors flew open I threw the stroller on the deck. One two, three black bags flew onto the platform as I run up for more. By this time the kids have been rudely awoken and are all somewhere between crying and screaming. The chimes sound for the doors to close and I still have 2 trips upstairs to get more bags. I have visions me screaming ‘I love you’ to my crying kids from the window on the second story of the train as it moves along to the next town- Geneva, and my kids left crying lost in France on a train platform in Macon Loche.
This could be a good time to bring up the fact that when you are in an eddy in life, a place where people and things are moving along around you at high speed and you are sitting still, you are in constant worry of being a casualty of speed. As the train prepared to move along, at its normal speed, it was about to rip my children from me without realizing it. Be warned you could be causing casualties of speed.
This is thankfully not the end of the story. A nice old French chain smoker stood in the doorway, saying nice things to the conductor in French , as I make a dash for the last of the bags……or so I thought. We actually forgot the diaper bag on the train.
As we sat as casualties of speed trains on the platform, huddled and hugging each other till the crying stopped and Sim realized he had to pee. A nice French woman helped carry our luggage to the bus station and translated for us and we sat waiting for our 1hr bus ride to Taize. Yes, the day had not finished….there was more to come-there always is.
Thank God for people who care, who notice and who pick up speed casualties like us.
Don't be confused. We are publishing past stories to get people caught up while we are in spain. enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! The joys of train travel!

    Brings back memories of touring through Europe with YWAM...and one particular night...changing trains in the wee hours of the morning.

    We literally hurled luggage for 15 people, prop. & costumes luggage, sound equipment, & our leaders 3 kids...out of the sleeping compartment windows...hauled it all over the walkway and tossed it all into the next train...in about 8 minutes!

    We only had a few minutes of tactical planning as we approached the station, realizing the change was way tighter than expected! Oh...did I mention that Tom had the flu...and threw up in between throwing bags! The tracks were not a pretty sight after we left!

    Thank God these moments are not the usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am crying for you as I read this. I can so imagine the hardship of traveling with small children and how that can be immensely stressful. Your family is so precious!

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks for joining in the conversation.