Friday, November 12, 2010

In the Book of the Dead


Sept. 14 2010


Today we went to Edinburgh Castle. While the kids sat on cannons and climbed the ramparts I pursued the museum. At the top of the castle the Scot’s have turned the chapel into a war memorial. I decided I would hunt for my Uncle who was killed during WW2 a few days after D Day.
What I came upon startled me. In one of the many great volumes of names was my own. Even my initials.

D. Robert Hall.

It hit me….He died (my namesake), in a war because he loved his country, and I trust the cause. It is a somber thing to think he died, voluntarily, willingly. He at some point put his name on a piece of paper knowing full well he may die for having signed it.

I prayed that when and if I needed to do the same, I would have the same courage. I pray that I would have the conviction to put my name in on things that I believe to be right-even though I too may suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey thanks for joining in the conversation.